THE PROJECT COMPRISED OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW SINGLE STOREY COMBINED PSYCHIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE UNIT AND LOW SECURE UNIT FACILITY ON THE EXISTING HELLESDON HOSPITAL SITE. THE NEW FACILITY INCORPORATED PATIENT BEDROOMS WITH ENSUITE SHOWER FACILITIES, COMMUNAL KITCHEN, DINING, LOUNGE, ACTIVITY AND CORRIDOR AREAS IN ADDITION TO MEDICAL SUPPORT AREAS SUCH AS CONSULTANT ROOMS AND TREATMENT FACILITIES
The new building was constructed using a combination of traditional loadbearing masonry construction and Glulam framed structures. The roof construction was formed with Structurally Insulated Panels Systems (SIPS) incorprating a standing seam type roof finish.
Key features of the project were:-
- Piled foundations and ground beams
- Suspended ground floor slabs
- Mono pitched roof areas formed with Glulam structures
- Structurally Insulated Panel systems (SIPS)
- Photovoltaic panels
- Ground source heat pumps
- Rainwater harvesting installation
- Project awarded 'The Broadland Design Award for 2009' from Broadland District Council.