Barnes Construction, the largest division of The Barnes Group Limited, offers a comprehensive professional construction service. The Group is very proud of its commitment to its employees and actively encourages professional and personal development. Since its formation in 1978, the Company has established itself as a client-focussed Building Contractor, completing a wide range of contracts for blue chip and repeat business clientele. The business is based at its Head Office in Ipswich, but operates throughout the UK. Barnes Construction is committed to good practice in Health & Safety and has established an extremely good record in this area.
Management Apprentice Recruitment/Training Programme
Barnes Construction has a well structured Management Apprentice Recruitment and Training Programme in place (detailed below). Recruitment takes place in April each year, ready for commencement in September. Advertisements appear in the East Anglian Daily Times/Evening Star in April and shortlists are drawn up thereafter from applications received.
Management Apprentices spend several months in rotation in each of the main departments of Surveying, Contracting and Estimating, gaining valuable experience in the securing, planning and administering of current contracts under the supervision of a mentor. Regular reviews with the Divisional Surveying Director ensure that apprentices are progressing satisfactorily and that the relevant support systems are functioning correctly so that each apprentice gains maximum benefit from the training programme.
Practical experience on site under the supervision of one of the Company's many experienced Site Managers will ensure that the office-based side of the training programme is backed up by sound practical knowledge gained from a current working contract.
The combination of both office and site based experience makes this training a sound and up to date basis for future senior positions within this successful and expanding construction company.
The company actively encourages continued training and offers realistic long-term career opportunities throughout the Group. The Management Apprentice Programme reflects this ethos and offers progression through a defined career route with a competitive salary.
We are currently looking to strengthen our Site Management Team to undertake projects in East Anglia, North-East London and the North East of England.
Barnes Construction are the largest division of The Barnes Group Limited and offer a comprehensive professional construction service. The Group is very proud of its commitment to its employees and actively encourages professional and personal development. Since its formation in 1978, the Company has established itself as a client-focused Building Contractor, completing a wide range of contracts for blue chip and repeat business clients. The business has a Head Office in Ipswich, but operates throughout the UK. Barnes Construction is committed to good practice in Health & Safety and has established an extremely good record in this area.
Barnes Construction undertake new build and refurbishment projects in a typical project value range from £0.5m - £15m in all the major sectors including commercial, educational, industrial, leisure, health and social housing.
Key attributes for the Role
- Possess a strong commitment to the business and its personal approach to contracting.
- Able to prepare short term programmes, taking into account risk management issues.
- Report to/work closely with, the Contracts/Projects Manager who has overall responsibility for project delivery and outcomes.
- Organise and control direct labour and sub-contractors in a timely and efficient manner.
- Be responsible for the day-to-day running and organisation of the site.
- Ensure that excellent quality and good craftsmanship is maintained.
- Demonstrate ability to work to the site Health and Safety Plan and manage all onsite H&S aspects.
- Maintain accurate information/instruction records on the project.
- Act as customer interface on site.
- Demonstrate good team management skills.
- Demonstrate ability to anticipate and solve problems as they present themselves on site.
- Be prepared to work throughout the country, travelling and lodging when required.
- To personally drive the construction process to provide the earliest project completion.
The company actively encourages continued training and offers realistic long-term career opportunities throughout the Group. The position reflects this ethos and attracts the usual fringe benefits of a competitive salary, contributory pension, bonus scheme, life assurance, annual holidays, car allowance together with generous allowances for travelling and working away from home.
If you are interested in the above position, applications should, in the first instance, be made in writing enclosing a current CV marked ‘For the attention of Mr M Hart, Divisional Construction Director’ to the address below or by email to:
6 Bermuda Road
Suffolk IP3 9RU
All applicants will be treated in the strictest confidence. Barnes Construction are Equal Opportunities Employer.