ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY
BARNES CONSTRUCTION IS COMMITTED TO MINIMISING THE IMPACT OF OUR BUSINESS OPERATIONS ON THE ENVIRONMENT. WE TAKE PRIDE IN OUR TRACK RECORD OF COLLABORATING WITH CLIENTS, INCORPORATING INNOVATIONS TO MAXIMISE PROJECTS' SUSTAINABLE CREDENTIALS.
We operate ISO 14001 accredited environmental procedures throughout the business aiming to achieve beyond legislation compliance for our operations and actions.
We measure our performance and actions; how they impact on the environment, staff welfare, the local community and global resources via:
- Implementing BREEAM; delivering multiple "excellent" rated projects through both traditional and Design and Build contracts.
- Monitoring our waste to landfill volumes; utilising WRAP site waste management plans, targeting 10% below industry averages.
- Capturing our sites' carbon footprint with Construct CO2 software, implementing carbon reduction techniques and offsetting.
- Using KPI's to benchmark our progress, driving efficiency and best practice.
We also have a depth of experience that has helped us develop a reputation as a business at the forefront of sustainable construction. We have established an Environmental and Sustainability core group with the aims of promoting greater understanding of our commitment to sustainability, capturing, evidencing and sharing best practice, and reducing our use of resources.
We are experienced in delivering projects that incorporate sustainable technologies including:-
- Hemcrete walling
- Wind turbines
- PV; Photovoltaics
- Grey water recycling
- Ground and air source heat pumps
- Timber frame technology including cross laminated structures
- Bio-mass boilers
- Solar hot water
- SUDS drainage
- Combined heat and power
- Sedum roof coverings
- Warmcel insulation
We operate sustainable procurement policies designed to minimise our impact on the environment through the careful selection of products and services. Additionally, we have specific procurement policies for the purchase of sustainable timber based products and insulations.
Further details of these policies, procedures and supporting documents can be provided upon request.