Health and Safety
YEAR-BY-YEAR, BARNES CONSTRUCTION HAS MAINTAINED A VERY LOW NUMBER OF REPORTABLE HEALTH AND SAFETY INCIDENTS.
Today legislation is rightly much more rigorous and the impact on the business of failure is very significant. However, from inception, our business has always been governed by the highest standards of the time. We have been instrumental in raising of standards in the local area, being active on local Health and Safety Committees and one of the first construction companies to issue protective clothing free of charge to all our employees.
Our health and safety team works very hard to ensure that all the bases are covered. They not only undertake what is expected as far as site safety method statements, risk assessments and general health and safety requirements are concerned, but also go the extra mile by visiting local schools and other establishments to help raise awareness of our construction activities whilst providing an understanding of the dangers that exist on construction sites. We believe that we have not only a legal but also a moral and social responsibility to ensure the safety
and welfare of all our employees and those we impact upon on a daily basis.
We ensure that we not only meet our health and safety legislative duty and obligations but also convey our expectations to all staff, visitors and sub-contractors via a range of policies and procedures which include:
- A Group Board resolution which sets an overall framework
- An annual action plan which focuses on improvement
- A detailed policy document setting out responsibilities
- A procedures document
- Rigorous external training
- Internally delivered training and toolbox talks
- Bi-annual seminar and targeted meetings with supply chain partners
- Regular committee meetings
- Quarterly Q & A sessions with our Site Management Team
- Regular independent inspection reporting and clearing of health and safety matters on all our sites
- The use of 'Codes of Conduct' and bulletins to establish expectations of Health and Safety performance levels
- Support and attendance at health and safety events
- Incentivisation of on-site health and safety performance
Further details of these policies, procedures and supporting documents can be provided upon request.